2010 University Drive Kearney, NE 68849
This historic three-story mansion was the home of George Washington Frank, Sr. In the late 1800’s, Kearney experienced and economic boom driven by G. W. Frank, Sr. Responsible for the completion of the canal and hydroelectric plant, he provided electricity for the factories and railcars which created the boom. This home was built in 1889 and cost between $35,000 and $40,000 at a time when the average home cost around $1,000 to build. Designed by his son George Frank Jr., this home was one of the first in the Midwest to be wired for electricity. The Frank house is made of Colorado sandstone and combines the Shingle style and Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. All the woodwork in the house was hand carved by a master craftsman. The home also included a large stained glass window supplied and installed by Tiffany’s of New York. The building is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is now used for University functions and is open to the public as a museum.